Friday, June 22, 2007

I am defined by...

Here's another one of those cartoons I love. This one really makes me think though. I don't know if you do this or if I'm just really shallow sometimes (maybe it's just a girl thing), but I catch myself trying to label myself and fit my life into a category.

Like this: what type of person do I want to appear to be? Trendy? Studious? Artistic? Natural? Successful? Ok, well pick one and then pick out your clothes, music preferences, job, car, news network, home decor, food, and exercises program to fit into that category...throw everything else out.

I think this happens because we want to take the complexity out of life. We want to understand what we are here for and know who we are. Maybe that's why we like the internet; because we can fit what we want to be inside our "About Me" box, and not worry about the rest of what we really are.

Wait, I have a thought! Maybe God designed life to be complex so that we CAN'T just define ourselves by our iPods. Maybe He wanted us to define our lives by Him...because He's complex- He's the only thing more complex than us, so He can define us fully (unlike our iPods which can only define a small part of us.) He created us with our complexities so that we have an innate need for Him. Is this making sense?

By the way, do you like how I changed the person from "I" to "we"? It makes me feel better :)

Oh, and I found out what the rattling was! But don't get too excited. It was a cockroach trying to crawl out of an empty metal plant pot. How anti-climactic. It's amazing that a cockroach could make that much noise. But it is sadly fun trying to watch the little guy struggle in vain.

I'm so terrible. I think I'll go set him free. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You sure come up with alot to say. I can barely post once a week!