Monday, June 18, 2007

After Camp

I just spent the last week working Progressive Hearts camp, away from the media, the Internet, TV...and I really didn't miss it all while I was gone. It's always weird coming back into society.
Here's a pic of my large group...
And here's a pic of this crazy game everyone played during Rec one day. We had an awesome Rec staff...
The Lord proved himself living and active in my heart this week and I watched in literal amazement as He placed words of truth in my mouth to share with my group. In every circumstance, whether speaking to large groups or individuals, I was never at a lack of His beautiful words. They were as fixed within me as my very own heart. It was a giant responsibility to carry the Word, but the Lord used His Spirit and other people to encourage me at every turn. Now, as I'm back in everyday-ness with the same struggles as before, I am noticing how I am having trouble believing those very words of truth that came out of my own mouth only hours ago.

But I will not be discouraged. This everyday-ness gives the truth of God a chance to be awakened and applied, and not just spoken.

We as teachers, we as older Christians, we who have walked with the Lord many years or through many trials, WE ARE NOT ABOVE THE TRUTH. At one point, one of my fellow leaders and I were talking about fears and being bound to the same mistakes our families made. I realized that here we were, losing hope, while we were teaching students about the GLORIOUS hope we have in Jesus and how He is so much bigger and greater than all other things! We had to realize that we are not above the truth. It still applies to those of us who have been "seasoned" in Christianity. We are not bound to anything on this earth: sin, fear, circumstances. We are bound to Jesus: hope, love, truth, victory. So sweet.

All week I wore this bracelet with these big heart beads on it and it became this visual reminder to me of God's love and presence. I don't know why but it was so encouraging. I think I've had more doubt and fear in my mind than I realized. God's love for His children is inescapable, but I doubt that so often. That bracelet around my wrist all week made that truth undeniable no matter how I felt about myself. It was beautiful.

Well, God is still working. That's for sure. "Don't be afraid; just believe." Mark 5:36

No comments: