Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Poet Soul


Here's a shot from my 2nd Senior Session last weekend! It was a blast to work with this girl. I didn't feel like posting all the photos, so here's a link to the full album. Anyway, on with the post...get in a calm, reflective mood before you read it :)

There's nothing like a good poem.

Today, just a few minutes ago actually, my professor let our class out early. I had absolutely nothing to do for the next 45 minutes until my next class started and really, wasn't very excited about that. I aimlessly wandered down the long hallway, but stopped suddenly when I passed an open door. The voice coming from the room carried passion as he read the poem I recognized as Gerald Manley Hopkins' "Spring." I smiled as I stood in the hallway, eavesdropping; this was Dr. Brunner, the most inspiring professor I've ever had. Listening to him read the poem was beautifully refreshing to my soul.

It was three and a half years earlier that I had sat in that class, listening to Dr. Brunner teach us how to appreciate poetry and the beauty encapsulated in it's clear words. And today, I'm grateful I caught a bit of it again. Listening in for those 10 minutes changed my entire attitude. And now I leave you with my few favorite lines from the poem.

"Nothing is so beautiful as Spring--
    when weeds in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush...
What is all this juice and all this joy?
A strain of the earth's sweet being in the beginning, in Eden garden."

There's nothing like a good poem. :)

P.S. By the way, here's a happy thought. I slept late today and when I finally woke up, Meg and I went to United in our pajamas to buy waffles. Then we went back home and made 'em! No better way to start the day!

2 comments:

Katelyn said...

Thanks! I have been trying to figure out how to put your name on the photograph to give you credit, but I can't seem to do it right ... any suggestions?

Katelyn said...

I personally think you should do it. Here are the reasons.

1. I am NOT good with computers.
2. I think it's best if you choose the font. A font says a lot about a person.
3. I tried to do it again (just now) and completely messed up.

Is that a convincing argument? :)