Wednesday, August 8, 2007

We Are Not Unaware...

Last night I was present in a conversation about getting cancer and all the troubles it brings and how most of us will get cancer at some point in our lives. Just so you know, I really do not enjoy conversations like that, and last night was no exception. I just wanted to go outside and look at the beauty of a night sky and get away from all this hard stuff of life. And that's ok.

But later I was thinking. This is life. Life is full, ever so full. Full to the brim with things like excitement and weddings to things like depression and divorce. I can't pretend the bad doesn't exist (although sometimes I'd like to try)...but I have been given a reason to be fearless in the face of it all.

The LORD is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1

We would be foolish to avert our eyes to problems and trick ourselves in believing everything is dandy. And I am not going to find my "joy" in turning my eyes from the obvious, claiming naivety--THAT is asking for it. But what I am doing is looking straight in the face of the things- all the things- that come in my full life, acknowledging they are there, but knowing my God is greater. I am finding my joy in the truth that life is hard but God is greater.

There is so much joy in embracing the truth of the moment-- that God is going to provide in His divine manner, no matter what the situation. There is false control in averting our eyes from what is actually happening.

I'm not sure if I'm getting this across well...it is so deep in my heart. All our hopes and dreams of getting out of life predictably, easily, and on schedule are NOTHING compared to God's surpassingly more powerful and more beautiful plan for His children. We can't get our minds around that, it seems...but it is true no matter the way things seem.

When will we as Christians claim that bold promise God freely gives? How much will it take?

No comments: