Thursday, July 26, 2007

Obedience vs. Performance

In our relationships with God, the line between obedience and performance can be a blurry one; but it's important to grasp because obedience leads to life...performance leads to death.

Obedience is seeking God with your whole heart.
Performance is having a quiet time because you feel guilty if you don't.

Obedience is inviting guests into your home for dinner.
Performance is feeling anxious that every detail is perfect.

Obedience is wanting to do your best.
Performance is wanting to be better than everyone else.

Obedience is saying yes to everything God asks you to do.
Performance is following a list of man made requirements.

Obedience springs from fear of God.
Performance springs from fear of failure.

All of these things are SO relevant to my life right now. I deal with the obedience/performance battle all the time. When I remember these things though, it's easier for me to be at peace and let the gentle hands of an all powerful God shape me into what I am to be.

No comments: