Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Thoughts on Esther 3

Tonight at Bible study we were looking at Esther 3. We're going to be going through the entire book this semester and it's been so nice to take it slow, just a chapter a week, and really dive deep into the contexts, words, history, and lineages to see what the Lord is weaving together from all these separate lives. I just wanted to share some reassuring thoughts we gathered tonight. Hang in there, it gets wordy but is worth it, I think...PS if you haven't read the book of Esther, this might not make sense. So go read it. It's short. :)

The craziest thing to me in this chapter is how much influence Haman (the "bad guy) has over the King. Haman has so much power, yet we read that he is a descendant of Agag the Amalekite. This is a big deal because God had declared "war against the Amalekites from generation to generation" because of their attack on Israel (see Exodus 17:8-16 and 1 Samuel 15:2 for more on that). So this guy who was an enemy of God was basically the King's right hand man. I find it fascinating that God allowed him to come to that much power. You would think God would be like, "Oh an enemy of mine? He can't be the king's right hand man. All my enemies have to be servants or something." Haha, sorry for the loose interpretation of God's persona. If I were a Jew at that time, I would be like, "Hey God, can't we get this guy out of office?! He's your enemy and he wants to kill us all!" But God is so in control. He allowed Haman that position so that He might further display his glory. He had it under control the whole time. Even when it seemed like Haman was taking over and was going to kill all the Jews, GOD HAD IT UNDER CONTROL.

It gives me comfort to know that even though God might allow "bad people" to come to power over our country, another country, the world, or even something local I'm involved in, He still has it under His control. No matter how powerful the person might seem, that person still must succumb to the power of God. NOTHING is greater or more magnificent than the power of God. EVERY knee will bow. I am so encouraged by that. It is good to know I am on the winning team. Sorry for the lame sports reference.

Another cool little tidbit from Esther 3 is that Haman decides to cast lots to pick the date when he wants to wipe out the Jews. "By a seeming coincidence the date indicated was nearly a year away. As someone has said, 'Even superstition is chained to the divine chariot-wheels.' God overruled to allow sufficient time to thwart Haman's plan. 'The lot is cast into the lap, but it's every decision is from the Lord.' Prov 16:33" So encouraging to know that superstition, the stars, or even Satan are all under God's ruling. I just love it that my God is so powerful! And yet so full of love for His children! If this is making you stand in awe and reverent fear, it should! So awesome! I'm definitely feeling the holy fear in me just thinking about it.

The book of Esther is awesome. One thing that I'm loving right now is reading the Bible with a commentary next to me. Commentaries bring so much light and practical application to some passages of scripture where I'm like, "What?!" My dad bought me the Believer's Bible Commentary by William MacDonald a few years back and that's what I'm using and loving. It's a big fat book, but well worth it! If you're tired in reading the Bible, try it out! It really helps you understand.

Well, thanks for reading this whole post if you made it this far. I hope it made sense. I was just so amazed I wanted to share it! Hopefully you will be spurred on to read the Word and God will reveal even MORE amazing things to you! Have a good night. :)

No comments: